As a service to area Veterans, the South Carolina Appleseed Legal Justice Center has partnered with the Wm. Jennings Bryan Dorn VA Medical Center and members of the private bar to establish Lawyers 4 Vets, a free legal clinic in the Columbia, SC, area for low income Midlands Veterans. Legal advice/assistance at no cost - but court cost, administrative cost or other fees are the responsibility of the Veteran.
Lawyers 4 Vets connects low income and homeless Veterans with attorneys who provide legal advice and representation on certain issues.
The clinic will ONLY address the following topics:
• Obtaining identification (Social Security, South Carolina State ID, birth certificates)
• South Carolina child support orders and modifications
• Expungements of SC criminal records, and/or pardon
• Consumer protection issues (payday loans, auto title loans, etc.)
• Simple wills and healthcare power of attorney (available for veterans and their spouse)
Veterans will be screened for eligibility, and if eligible will be given an appointment at the clinic. Lawyers 4 Vets will assist eligible Veterans regardless of military discharge status.
Veterans who would like to be screened for eligibility should call the number listed below and leave a message including their name, phone number, and legal issue. The Veteran will be contacted within 2 business days by an intake volunteer who will ask the veteran a number of questions to determine if they are eligible. If the Veteran is eligible and has a qualifying legal issue, they will be given the next available appointment at the legal clinic. Appointments are required for a Veteran to receive a face-to-face meeting with a lawyer. Walk-ins will not be seen and will be directed to contact the telephone intake.
Toll Free 1-877-289-6000
The Clinic will be held from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. on the third Thursday of each month. The 2014 Clinic dates are:
* October 16, 2014
* November 20, 2014
* December 18, 2014
(BY APPROVED APPOINTMENT ONLY AND SPECIFIC LOCATION PROVIDED UPON CONFIRMATION): Wm. Jennings Bryan Dorn VA Medical Center, 6439 Garners Ferry Road, Columbia SC 29209.
* Are you an attorney interested in volunteering? If so, please visit: http://scjusticewatch.org/2014/03/14/lawyers4vets/ (This link takes you to a non-VA, partner website)