Columbia VA Health Care System
The staff at Columbia VA Health Care System have provided a number of ways for you to learn how to live a healthy lifestyle and self-manage your own health. There are many ways for you and your family members to become more informed and take an active role in your health care. We want you and your family to know about your health and how to best take care of you. There are a variety of programs, materials, and activities available. Programs are held on diabetes, cardiac care, weight management, MOVE!, stroke, oncology, smoking cessation, specialized support groups, and other health topics.
Tell your primary care team if you want to sign up or if you need additional information. Your primary care team may also arrange for other materials (models, audiotapes, pamphlets, etc.) for you and your family to look at or they might ask you to visit the Patient Education Resource Center (PERC).
Patient Education Resource Center Our Patient Education Resource Center (PERC) is staffed by an experienced library assistant. The center contains a collection of easy-to-read health and wellness books, respected health education newsletters, videos and other materials.
Monday through Friday: 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
(803) 776-4000 extension 6564 The PERC is open to all Veterans and their families. The PERC has books, videos, and Internet resources. All items are for on-site use. Pamphlets are available on a variety of health topics.
My HealtheVet The My HealtheVet site provides veterans and their families excellent, reliable patient education information as well as the latest VA News. Information about Veterans’ benefits and services is also available.
Upon registering with My HealtheVet, you will be able to —
- refill prescriptions online
- keep personal food and activity journals
- monitor your personal health data, such as blood pressure and pain levels
- maintain your own self-entered personal health record
Outpatient Classes Clinical staff provide ongoing health education during regularly scheduled outpatient clinic visits. Courses focus on —
- health promotion
- upcoming tests and procedures
Staff can tell you about upcoming education classes that are available.
Inpatient Classes Clinical staff begin the patient education process at the time of admission, during the hospital stay, and at discharge. Our goal is to provide a hospital environment where patients -
- continually receive updated health information
- are able to ask questions about their health
- can enjoy as comfortably as possible their stay in our facility
- VA Television Network
An on-demand education video system is available for all inpatient rooms and in some waiting areas. Ask the staff for further information on how to access the system.